Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Starving in Chicken

3,498 miles after I left Bozeman, I arrived at Chicken, the tiny town in the middle of the wilderness where my Uncle and Slim Williams staggered out of the forest starving.

(click on pics to enlarge) 
There were days when I didn't think I'd make it.

The truck was way overloaded.  Sure, I'd added air springs and anti sway bars, but it was evil on ice.  There were times when I thought it would end up upside down.

When I arrived in Chicken 2 days ago they said, "the food truck hasn't come yet.  It was supposed to be here last week. Maybe next Friday."  In the meantime you can't buy a bite.  Except for little bags of potato chips, two bucks each.  Meanwhile, the border to Canada won't open for another 3 days. Problems with the ferry. The only other way to get to Dawson is to drive 735 miles down to Whitehorse and up on the east side of the Yukon.
 
 

I have a small stash of canned food. I had one can for lunch today.  Pea soup.  Any Questions?